Skip to main content

RBA Frequently Asked Questions

Browse RBA Questions

The Regents B.A. program has a unique set of policies. Additional FAQs and advisor contact information can be found on the Advising page.

The RBA Program has a different set of general education requirements from other degrees at WVU. It requires students to take a minimum of 24 hours of general education courses in the following areas:

  • Six hours of communication skills. English 101 and 102. May substitute a university approved writing class or a speech preparation class.
  • Six hours of humanities credit in areas such as literature, foreign languages, history, humanities, philosophy, religious studies and approved courses in art, music, and theater.
  • Six hours of social science credit in areas such as anthropology, communication studies, economics, geography, political science, psychology, social science, and sociology.
  • Three hours of natural or physical science credits in areas such as astronomy, biology, chemistry, geology, physics, and physical science.
  • Three hours of approved mathematics, statistics, or computer science credits

The RBA degree requires students to take a minimum of 27 hours of upper division course work. Upper division courses are those offered at the junior and senior levels and are usually numbered as 300- or 400-level courses.

Upper division courses may be taken in any eligible subject area based on the students' interest.

The basic principle underlying the RBA degree is that credit is awarded for what students know regardless of how that knowledge was attained. The program differs from other bachelor degrees in that RBA students may earn college-equivalent credit by submitting portfolios for selected work and life experiences which can be equated to college courses.

No. The RBA curriculum is determined by State Guidelines and does not require a foreign language.

No. You may meet the GEF and upper division requirements by passing appropriate CLEP, Dantes, or AP exams with specified scores; earning credit for prior learning, or submitting a JST.

No. State Guidelines only require that six hours of upper division (300-400 level) course work be taken at WVU. The rest of the residency credit may be taken at any one or a combination of the public higher education institutions in West Virginia.

No. Residency hours must be earned by taking regular, graded courses. Likewise, you cannot use CLEP or other tests or credit for prior learning to meet the residency requirement.

No. All coursework for RBA is online. RBA students can enroll in any online course options at WVU, assuming they meet the prerequisites for those courses.

Yes. Some courses might meet all three requirements at once, but they will only count once toward the 120 hours needed for graduation.

The term "regent" refers to a member of a governing body of a university system, such as the Board of Regents. These individuals are responsible for overseeing the management and policies of the university or college, including the appointment of top officials, setting budgets and tuition rates, and ensuring the institution's mission is fulfilled.

A regent’s degree is awarded by the Board of Regents or a similar governing body of a university system.

Wait a few days if you are a transfer student. Even though you’ve been admitted to the program, it still takes a few days for your transcripts to be processed. You will receive an email from a "transcript tour guide" at the registrar’s office, who will explain how your credits were processed and any other steps needed to complete your transfer.

After you receive that email, your next step is to contact your academic advisor. Dominic "Nick" Sano-Franchini will be your contact person for your first advising appointment. Please do not contact Nick until you have been admitted to the program and had your transcripts processed. If you are a first-time freshman, please contact Nick after being admitted.

Take a look at Degree Works, WVU’s resource for students and advisors to keep track of requirements. During your appointment, your advisor will likely refer to information found in Degree Works. Please prepare any questions you have about your credits, your requirements, and other topics, prior to your first appointment.

Read more Advising FAQs for Multidisciplinary degrees

Visit the MDS Advising page to meet your advisors and for additional FAQs.